Tuesday 23 October 2012

To market, to market


Well it feels like forever and a day since I updated the blog!

I’ve been keeping very busy at Embrace HQ on my quest to enter the retail space and have had some little wins long the way which has been terrific!

With an exciting first order already confirmed by Hares & Hyenas in Collingwood, I thought I’d start with my mammoth mission in my home state of Victoria. I identified twenty-two unique shops that aren’t afraid of putting stock on their shelves that makes them a retailer of difference. I then lovingly created sample packs of our current range, bound them with bows and a included a letter introducing Embrace, why we do what we do, our environmental credentials, our wholesale price structure and of course – some contact details!

The very next day, Fairfield Books contacted me and placed an order which was a wonderfully affirming moment. In a time of uncertainty it gave me some much needed steam to pursue the rest.

Out of twenty-two stores approached thus far, this is how Embrace fared:

  • Eight stores placed orders instantly.
  • Eight stores were excited to receive the sample pack and were enthusiastic to place them on their shelves to see if they generated customer interest. If they did, they would reorder.
  • Six said, ‘No thanks – not for us.’ Which I took in my stride – if it wasn’t special for them, it would certainly be special for someone else!


I’ll let you in on a little secret… I was PETRIFIED of making follow-up phone calls. Sales and marketing is not my thing at all but there is a fire inside me to do something constructive which is an amazingly motivating force. The wonderful thing was, whether people thought the cards were suitable for their shop or not, I would say 90% were very warm, welcoming and totally loved the Embrace concept.  Some of the ‘no’s even kept me on the phone for much longer than I expected to talk about their frustrations with Australia not moving forward with inclusive marriage laws. Whenever I got a ‘no’, I always politely enquired about their local knowledge and If they could recommend anywhere else I may try to find our cards a home. Most were very helpful which was great. From those who did place orders, we had a few in regional areas which was probably a bold move for those particular stores. I can already imagine the cards being a talking point in those towns!

So as it happens, Embrace Cards are now being stocked in eight stores – seven of them mainstream places like art galleries, boutique stationers, gift & jewellery stores! It’s so terrific that these particular store owners are so happy to ‘embrace’ our products as that was the vision I had for Embrace in the beginning -  to bring the marginalised into the mainstream!

For now, it’s going to be the steadfast task of mailing out more sample packs to other states and following up with  phone calls. I’d like to add that the support I’ve had from my friends, family and the Embrace Cards facebook page has been amazing… Thank you everyone - you guys keep me going!

Take good care.

Kate x

P.s. Our current range of stockists can be viewed here. If you have any suggestions of other stores I should approach, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment